High Contact

My Dad is going to laugh at me for this one, but here are my options – ideas/advice/opinons are very welcome.

I have just gotten my timetable for uni. NB. I have low contact hours. Freak out poor science/law students.

My current situation looks like this (of being in at uni):

Monday: 12:30-5:30 (solid classes)
Tuesday: 11:30-2:30 (solid classes)
Thursday: 9:30-3:00 (inc. 1.5hrs killing time/study)

I can change my timetable can look like this (2 days in only but leaving the house at 7:00am one morning):

Monday: 9:00-5:30 (inc. 2.5hrs of killing time/study)
Tuesday: 8:30-2:30 (solid classes)

What say you? Get up super early and squash it down to two days?

Now remember that I’ll work 1.5-2 days and that will be flexible and uni is say 40ish minutes from work and they’re quite keen for a half day.

Last option (move one class only):

Monday: 12:30-5:30 (solid classes)
Tuesday: 8:30-2:30 (solid classes)
Thursday: 9:30-10:30 (one class then maybe work a half day)

Regardless of the situation I’ll be in for 4 days with uni and work so public transport costs don’t change whatever I pick.

Best possible secenario?

8 Comments

1. said:

last option.

two half days and one full day.

dont only have two days of full on classes for uni. you never get any study done, and dont have any time for library/group meetings etc.

February 15, 2007
  2. said:

ah but there is a 2 and a half hour break if I do squash into two days.

February 15, 2007
  3. said:

and… loads of time tues afternoon as I finish up at 2:30

February 15, 2007
  4. said:

Depends what you want to do with your uni time.

I’ve done both options.

In second year I worked 2 days per week and crammed my 15 contact ours into a Monday-Tuesday run with no breaks on the Tuesday from 8.30-5.30 and an hour off on the Monday. Uni, for me was a drive-thru. I was there to do what I had to do and there wasn’t much that I needed the library for that I couldn’t do online. That suited me. I had a day off where I didn’t need to travel into uni classes that often felt like a waste of my time.

In final year, I was only about 25 minutes out of the city on the tram, which dropped me virtually from the door of my house to the front door of my uni building… so I tried the 10.30am start, 3 days a week option, throwing in an evening class in second semester just for fun. In hindsight, while it wasn’t as time/headspace intensive while I was at uni, the entire time just seemed to drag because there were so many loose ends to the days and opportunities to dag around and waste them.

If I was you, especially being that it’s first year and you’ll eat it for breakfast, I’d condense it. Half-days of work, for what you get paid for roughly the same effort in getting there and home, in my opinion aren’t worth the hassle.

February 15, 2007
  5. Laura said:

Just pretend you love getting up early…. and do the two day option you silly girl!

February 15, 2007
  6. said:

Hrm…. yeah i’d probably be a theoretical fan of two full days.

but practically the spread might make it more bearable

how does your concentration go with long days? do you care? are they creative subjects? Do you have creative subjects allocated in your least creative times? Do they sell coffee, and finally, do you even care?

and one other question… what did you poke laura with to make her call you that?

February 15, 2007
  7. said:

One time I tried doing a class that started at 8am … by 4th week I stopped turning up.

How’s your discipline? Are you good at not hitting that snooze button? And what about your other commitments… ie… do you do anything on a Tuesday night for church/or whatever else where lack of sleep makes it harder?

February 15, 2007
  8. said:

Situation is as stands: I have opted to squash it into 2 days. Church stuff Louise (and I’m still going to call you that as there is another Sam around) happens on Wednesday nights, so that’s not an issue. If I have to get up, I will. I think it might be good for me to have a morning where I can’t be a lazy bum.

As for ‘creative times’ Tim. Most of the subjects this term will involve creativity in some way shape or form. The early morning lab is for Typography (motivation to get up, because I quite like that stuff). My creativity does not really run with set times, and if it did it would be at night – where there are no classes at all.

The uni is near chapel street. Coffee abounds. (muahhahaha) That might just have to become the day I do hit the black stuff.

February 16, 2007