Earl Grey Cupcakes
This is quite a spectacularly different recipe. They taste quite like earl grey so if you don’t like it, don’t make them. They do taste SO good.
Preparation Time 20 – 40 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
- Melted butter, for greasing
- 2 Earl Grey tea bags
- 60ml (1/4 cup) boiling water
- 80ml (1/3 cup) milk
- 100g butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 160g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
- 190g (1 1/4 cups) self-raising flour
- 230g (1 1/2 cups) pure icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tbs breakfast marmalade
- 1 1/2 tbs fresh orange juice, approximately
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush 12 medium (80ml/1/3 cup) muffin pans with the melted butter to lightly grease.
- Empty the tea leaves from the tea bags into a cup and add the boiling water. Set aside for 3 minutes. Stir in the milk and then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the butter, eggs, sugar and flour to the tea mixture. Use electric beaters on low speed to beat until just combined. Increase speed to medium and beat until the mixture is pale and creamy (the mixture may look slightly curdled).
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the greased pans. Bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the cakes comes out clean. Remove from the oven and set aside for 2-3 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make the marmalade icing, combine the icing sugar and marmalade in a small bowl. Add enough juice to make a very thick paste.
- Use a teaspoon dipped in hot water to spread the icing over the tops of the cooled cakes. Set aside for 15-20 minutes to allow the icing to set.
Recipe here for my record, incase it gets taken down or something crazy like that before I can write it out. From the brilliant taste.com.au
(and the charming photo taken under fluro lights… whoop whoop)